Monday, April 19, 2010

Impossible Possibilities

I recently came across this quotation which got me to thinking... "Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."  It reminds me of a Biblical passage in which (purportedly) the apostle Paul writes:
"For consider your call, brothers (and sisters); not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth; but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong, God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are..."

It's a great image of the possibilities of the impossible.  And it offers encouragement to those who would attempt transformation in any form.  But I'm not sure I totally agree with the first quote.  I'm not sure it is a sign of intelligence to recognize what is impossible.  In fact, just the opposite may be true!

Perhaps it is a sign of true intelligence to recognize that all things are possible.  Certainly there are worlds beyond our own and worlds within each of us which are rarely explored, and even less frequently tapped.  So while it may seem "impossible" for me to start a new life as if from birth, it may yet be "possible" for me to do exactly that!  Just for today, I am going to try to see everything as a possibility, whether it be wise or foolish, weak or strong, exalted or despised.  Just for today I celebrate impossible possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment